Saturday, March 14, 2009

Olympus E410

It looks like the choice of the Olympus was not a bad choice indeed. I was told by another Photography expert, all be it at sales rep, that the Olympus is just starting its journey into the SLR trade and that they are taking a different path than the traditional SLR brands of Nikon, Canon and Pentax. The latter brands are the forerunners in SLR technology however they tout the same features - that is more mega pixels, lens options etc. However the Olympus decided not to compete with these features and though of new innovative ways that they could fill niech markets in the SLR field.

Olympus build their cameras as light compact units which are directly aimed at the beginner demographic and those snap shot enthusiasts whom what a better performing camera that the point and shoot cameras. I purchased my kit for around $600.00AUD (of course that was in OCT 2008, sat wrapped up until Xmas and now they are cheaper and the newer unit E520 is available. So by no means did I get a bargain that the sales rep touted, but I did manage to but into a brand which which is innovative and heading down a new SLR road. I am happy to stick with this camera for a few years - though ask me after a few years time and I will probably know enough about the art of Photography to want a better unit.

Until then I am extremely happy with the Olympus E410. It is a great SLR to learn from and I am far from done with it yet. So what are the features of this little beauty?

As the company touts it is a compact unit with all the basic features of a digital SLR camera. That is to say, on the outside it has:

A detachable and interchangeable lens capability
Auto, manual and raw shooting options
10 mega pixel
Extensive menu options and easy to use navigation buttons
A large LCD screen with the option of live view (although I don't use it to take pics - I use it to get a feel on the light and exposure at a glance)
Easy shooting and advanced shooting modes
Manual and auto focus settings
Exposure compensation settings
White balance customisation
Metering mode
Saturation
Preview function
Flash modes - slow sync
Sequential shooting
Recording mode
Noise filter

No comments:

Post a Comment